The Men’s bowling club was formed in 1910 by Samuel G. Nicholls, together with his three sons Ernest, Sydney and Bertie. Prior to the club’s formation, the father and his sons used to play on the lawn in front of their own house at Oak Hall, a large house about half a mile north of the present club ground. Friends ware invited to play and as numbers grew and space proved inadequate, the idea of forming a club emerged.
A plot of land situated next to Erin Lodge, on the west side of Epping Road, was rented from Frederick R. Pelly of Fernbank. This is where the present lower green is situated. The rest of what is now the current site remained as grazing land.
In 1920-21 the whole of present site was purchased from Mr. Pelly and an approach was then made to the Buckhurst Hill Lawn Tennis Club to join with the bowlers. Money was raised as a loan to purchase, in addition to the land from Mr. Pelly, all the area between the previously leased bowling green site and the High Road, which could be laid out into six grass courts in two terraces. The property was conveyed to Trustees of the club in November 1921 and the new courts were opened by Mr. Pelly on 29th April 1922.
Prior to 1924 Ladies had only been honorary members of the club, but in 1924 it was agreed to form a Ladies’ Bowling Section and one rink was laid down on the west side of the Men’s bowling green. The green was opened on 1st July 1925.
The club celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1960, its Diamond Jubilee in 1970 and its Centenary in 2010 with matches played against the English Bowling Association amongst other special matches arranged during each of these seasons.
In 2010 the Men’s and Ladies’ Bowls Sections voted to amalgamate and there is now just one bowls section with one bowls committee representing all bowls members.
Click here (link to add) to see list of past winners of our competitions.