Buckhurst Hill Bowling and Lawn Tennis Club marked its centenary in 2010. However the tennis section of the club has its own separate history predating 1910. Originally what was once known as Buckhurst Hill Lawn Tennis Club was on a separate site on the south side of Gladstone Road near the High Road.
Although definitively accurate historical records are not available it is likely that the club was formed some time in the 1880s. It had three grass courts and membership was approximately 50 members from 1906 onwards.
Meanwhile, what was originally called the Buckhurst Hill Men’s Bowling Club was formed in 1910, renting the site which is now the main bowling green. In 1921 the Bowling Club took the initiative and approached the Tennis Club to establish in 1922 the Buckhurst Hill Bowling and Lawn Tennis Club. In the same year the entire site was bought outrght and six grass tennis courts were laid out.
Membership averaged 115 between 1922 and 1938. In the 1960s and 1970s membership gradually declined but in the 1990s mergers were agreed with three local clubs which resulted in adult membership increasing from about 20-25 at the end of 1992 to 122 by 1997. Since that time adult membership has fluctuated at just over 100.
Between 1931 and 1933 the grass courts were replaced by shale courts. Between 1993 and 1995 what had become four courts were converted to artificial grass. Floodlights were installed in 2009.
With the hiring of professional tennis coaches from the early 2000s junior membership began to grow. This has fluctuated significantly over the time but under our current coach, Inga Ziemina, junior membership is now around 60-80.
Click here for a list of past winners of our tennis competitions